Sunday, April 4, 2010

How I spent my Saturday, pt 2: ginger-peach pie w/coconut crust

This recipe is a two-for: coconut crust + ginger-peach filling. The crust is super easy. The filing requires a bit more attention, but it's worth it. The last time I used this crust, I made a cherry pie, that was also delicious. I imagine a banana cream or chocolate mousse or blueberry pie filling would also complement this sort of crust quite well. Good thing summer is coming. I look forward to posting many more variations of pie in the future.

Today's on-a-whim pie filling was ginger, peach & lemon.

Ginger Peach Pie w/shredded coconut crust

CRUST

1 1/2 C dried shredded coconut, unsweetened
3 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
1 Tbsp maple syrup
1/2 Tbsp vanilla extract

* Mix ingredients
* Press into pie plate
* Bake at 350*F for roughly 10-15 minutes. Keep a close eye on it; it browns quickly.

FILLING

1 lb peach frozen peach slices
1/4 C + 1 Tbsp sugar - I used turbinado sugar today
1 Tbsp fresh minced ginger
1/3 C fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 can coconut milk
1 envelope of unflavored gelatin

* Chop up peach slices & toss with lemon juice, ginger & sugar (I actually ground my minced ginger with 1 Tbsp of sugar with my mortar & pestle then mixed that into the peaches with the lemon juice & the rest of the sugar).

* Let it stand 30 minutes, occasionally stirring.

* Drain peaches into a saucepan, add coconut milk (total liquid here should equal roughly two cups, for those who like to keep track of such things).

* Reserve peaches.

* Sprinkle gelatin over liquid and let soften, ~1 minute. Bring just to a simmer and stir until the gelatin is dissolved.

* Add diced peaches.

* Transfer to a metal bowl in an ice bath (I put water & ice in my sink and put the bowl on top of that). Stir frequently until mixture begins to mound (about 20-30 minutes).

* Pour into pre-baked and cooled pie crust.

* Chill until set, at least four hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Mindfully Meandering - Free Blogger Templates, Free Wordpress Themes - by Templates para novo blogger HD TV Watch Shows Online. Unblock through myspace proxy unblock, Songs by Christian Guitar Chords