Monday, February 28, 2011

Grain-free Mini "Granola" Bites

Grocery shopping alone sounds wonderful, and it is in many ways. The peace and quiet is nice. However, for some reason, without my kids (and perhaps my routine?) I lose my focus and it takes me FOREVER. And I forget things, even with my list. I think I have grown to rely on Lily my taskmaster quite a bit.

This week, I went alone and forgot many things, things written right on my list, that I held in my hand, even. One of those things was a jar of pumpkin seeds, with which I intended to make mini granola bars or "granola bites". I pulled everything out this morning to make said granola bites only to find my base was missing. Me=discombobulated for sure. Time to improvise.

Grain-free Mini "Granola" Bites

1C ground flax seed
1C ground hemp seed
1C large coconut curls (shredded coconut is probably fine)
3 eggwhites
1/3C oil
1/4C honey
1/4C raisins or other dried fruit
1/4C chocolate chips
pinch of sea salt
pinch of vanilla powder (or vanilla extract)


Mix flax, hemp, coconut, salt & vanilla powder (if using extract, wait a step) in a bowl. Add oil & honey, mix in until well incorporated. Stir in raisins & chocolate chips. Set aside.

Whip eggwhites until frothy and soft peaks form.

Gently stir in egg whites until well mixed.

I used one 24-count silicon mini muffin tray + one greased cookie tray, with 20 "bites" on them. Each bite is 1.5tbsp of mixture.

Bake at 350*F for 15-20 minutes. The muffin tray needed 20 minutes, but the ones directly on the cookie sheet got a little over browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Mindfully Meandering - Free Blogger Templates, Free Wordpress Themes - by Templates para novo blogger HD TV Watch Shows Online. Unblock through myspace proxy unblock, Songs by Christian Guitar Chords