Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Grain- & Nut-free Granola

After searching and searching for a grain- & nut-free granola recipe, I finally just broke down and tried my own experiment. I ended up just using a variation of my pre-allergy life favorite homemade granola recipe, and I'm fairly pleased with myself.

2C soaked, sprouted & dehydrated (or roasted) sunflower seeds - not totally raw, but crispy is what you're aiming for
1/3C flax seed meal (equivalent to 4Tbsp flax seeds ground in my coffee grinder)
1/3C coconut oil
2-3Tbsp honey (I eye-balled it, and just used the rest of my jar)
1/2C coconut flakes
(1/2 tsp cinnamon)
pinch of sea salt
pinch of vanilla powder (I bet 1/2tsp of vanilla extract would be just fine)

In a saucepan, melt the oil & honey. Stir in remaining ingredients until every thing is evenly mixed. Pour in a thin layer onto two, lightly greased, cookie sheets. Bake at 300*F for 10-15 minutes. Turn off the oven and allow the granola to dry in the warm oven for about half and hour. (Or more, of course, if you start reading moon poems to your kids and loose track of time.)

We added raisins and coconut milk and ate it like cereal. If my chocolate chips hadn't mysterious disappeared (into my tummy) overnight, I would have omitted the cinnamon and added the chocolate chips to the cooled, dried mix, along with the raisins. I am not a fan of "baked raisin" flavor.

I'm sure this would work witha variety of seeds instead of, or in addition to the sunflower & flax- pumpkin, sesame, chia...

Yay for granola!

2 comments:

  1. Pumpkin-chia sounds really good! Did the girls like it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well... There was actual cheering, so I'd say yes! :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Mindfully Meandering - Free Blogger Templates, Free Wordpress Themes - by Templates para novo blogger HD TV Watch Shows Online. Unblock through myspace proxy unblock, Songs by Christian Guitar Chords