Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Homemade Mayo

Mayo can be healthy as well as yummy. And homemade mayo is super easy.

2 yolks from pastured eggs
1 tbsp raw apple cider vinegar
pinch of salt
plop of dijon style mustard (optional)
3/4 to 1C oil - we use a mixture of extra virgin olive oil and sunflower oil

I make mine in my kitchen aid mixer, with the whisk attachment, because my blender and food processors are terrible, and because my immersion blender bit the dust. I used to prefer the immersion blender because I thought it was the fastest and easiest method and yielded the most consistent final product.

In my mixer I put the yolks, the vinegar, the salt & the mustard and turn it on. Mix well. While mixer is running, slowly drizzle in oil. At first do it super slowly, almost drop by drop, but then you can increase to a larger stream. Just watch to make sure the oil is being entirely absorbed so you get that yummy, creamy emulsification.

I store mine in a mason jar in the fridge.

1 comment:

  1. I've done this a couple of times recently. Nobody in our house likes mayo in general, but hubby likes egg salad from time to time and I don't want to buy a whole jar of mayo to spoil for an occasional sandwich. Plus homemade is WAY better. I've never liked mayo and I can actually eat it if I make it myself. I need to buy some mustard powder so I can have more control of the mustard content. I never even thought to use a mixer, I just used a whisk.
    Thanks for sharing your recipe; I'm bookmarking it so I don't have to Google a recipe everytime I want to make some.

    ReplyDelete

 
Mindfully Meandering - Free Blogger Templates, Free Wordpress Themes - by Templates para novo blogger HD TV Watch Shows Online. Unblock through myspace proxy unblock, Songs by Christian Guitar Chords