Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Pumpkin Seed Butter Recipe

On many of the various elimination diets we've tried, most nuts and seeds are out, except for pumpkin seeds. We've adapted - and perfected, if I don't say so myself - the pumpkin seed version of the Crispy Nut Butter recipe from Sally Fallon's Nourishing Traditions.

2 C raw pumpkin seeds (hulled)
1/2 to 3/4C coconut oil or palm shortening, melted -- depends on which oil you use and how finely ground your seeds are
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 Tbsp maple syrup (more or less, to taste)

1. Put seeds in a bowl, cover with water, add roughly 1 tbsp of sea salt. Let soak overnight.

2. Drain & rinse seeds.

3. Spread onto two baking sheets, sprinkle a bit of salt over each pan. Bake at 200/250*F for several hours, until crispy (higher heat cooks faster, of course, but lower heat dries & crisps w/o burning better).

4. Put seeds & salt in food processor and buzz until seeds are a fine powder.

5. Drizzle in maple syrup & melted coconut oil as food processor is running.

6. Transfer to glass jar. The mixture will be thick, but sort of liquidy, but it will harden once stored in the fridge.

If you try this, let me know if it worked for you, or any substitutions you made.

I often make a double-batch, since I've found that roughly a pound of pumpkin seeds yields 4C soaked, drained & toasted seeds.

2 comments:

  1. Yum! Do you hull the seeds yourself, or buy them already hulled? I might need to plant extra sunflowers. Can I use honey instead of syrup, or is it too thick?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I buy my seeds in bulk - raw - from Oryana. That way I can soak & roast them myself. I think this would work with any seed or nut. You could definitely use honey instead of syrup. We were on a diet protocol for awhile that avoided honey (which is why I used maple syrup), but prior to that and again now that we're trying something different, I was/am all about the local raw honey. YUM!

    ReplyDelete

 
Mindfully Meandering - Free Blogger Templates, Free Wordpress Themes - by Templates para novo blogger HD TV Watch Shows Online. Unblock through myspace proxy unblock, Songs by Christian Guitar Chords