Sunday, June 13, 2010

A pie a day...

... keeps your blood sugar elevated? Well, just a little. My pies are grain-free and sweetened with just a bit of maple syrup. Not so bad.

We live in the Cherry Capital of the world. Or so our town likes to boast during an enormous Cherry Festival every year, around the fourth of July. It's a week-long festival, each day jam-packed with events for kids & adults. Since Lily is five this year, she's eligible for many more kid events. I was browsing the festival brochure to see what she might like to do when I came across the Old Fashioned Cherry Pie bake-off contest. And I paused, thinking: I could do this. I could submit a grain-free, allergy-friendly pie.The deadline for entry is June 18th.



Test Pie #1: baked coconut crust, with cherry, vanilla, maple, arrowroot filling.



Test Pie #2: baked almond crust, with the same filling, but tweaked proportions. I'm not enthusiastic about the looks of this crust, sadly. Also, I would like to be able to say that the pie is vegan, grain-free & allergy-friendly. I don't know that a nut crust really screams "allergy-friendly".

The baked coconut crust is good, but it's amazing once it's been in the fridge for a few hours. The pies need to be delivered by 1p on the day of the Heritage Picnic, so I wonder if I delivered a super cold pie if it would hold up in the heat for judging? Pondering. I'm even envisioning a way to make a mock-lattice top for it...

I see a Test Pie #3 in my near future. Coconut crust + hopefully perfected filling. And, of course, I will post recipes once I perfect the filling.

1 comment:

  1. They look great! If you need taste testers we're here.

    ReplyDelete

 
Mindfully Meandering - Free Blogger Templates, Free Wordpress Themes - by Templates para novo blogger HD TV Watch Shows Online. Unblock through myspace proxy unblock, Songs by Christian Guitar Chords